Google’s Personal Cookie Jar: Google “Smart” Ads
A monster of a revenue model
Allowing Google to set up and manage Paid Ads is like asking Cookie Monster to guard your cookie jar.
Soon, you won’t have any cookies left.
Your business has probably been contacted by Google with a promo code for a paid ads credit of $100.
It sounds so enticing. After all, who doesn’t love free advertising? They’ll even offer to set it up for you. They make Google Ads sound so easy.
Letting Google set up and manage your account is like letting Cookie Monster guard the cookie jar. Eventually, you’ll have no cookies.
The Google Smart Ads system is presented as a way to advertise easily. But what they don’t tell you is that it’s their favorite way to make an extra few billions every year. NOTE: Google recently rebranded this system, now calling it Smart Ads, as part of the regular Google Ads system, instead of calling it Express ads.
The fundamental problems with letting Google set up and manage your paid search account:
- They don’t make an effort to understand your business strategy and goals
- They don’t train you on how to manage the account, hoping that you won’t, and they’ll ultimately make more money as the clicks run wild
- They don’t take the time to write effective ads
- They don’t set up tracking effectively
- They are most interested in taking your money
Why you should’t set up your Google Ads yourself.
You could use our guide to Paid Search Basics, or others you find online, and attempt to set up Google Ads yourself. Or maybe you managed your own account years ago and want to give it another shot.
We don’t recommend it, unless you have extra time on your hands, and some money to burn. Here’s why:
- It’s a complicated system, and you need in-depth training to use it effectively and efficiently.
- It has evolved over the past few years and has more functionality than ever before.
- Without proper training, it’s easy to spend more than you need.
- It’s easy to get unqualified traffic, and pay for every unwanted click.
- Screwing things up is easier than ever, and ultimately will cost you more money and leads.
Why you SHOULD hire Purple Gen to manage your Google Ads:
- We are Google Certified, and have been using the Ads system since it began over 15 years ago.
- We take the time to understand your strategy, goals and budget.
- We set up your account to make the most of the functionality in Google Ads to target the right people, at the right time, with the right message.
- We set up conversion tracking so you know what kind of results you’re getting.
- We optimize your account on a weekly basis to do more things that work, and stop the things that don’t.
- We provide monthly reporting so you know exactly what you’re getting.
More from the Blog
I’ve worked in marketing, strategy, SEO and paid search for nearly 20 years, and as a freelance website designer for 8 years. My approach to web marketing: strategize. maximize. analyze. repeat. came from learning about my own personal strengths. Not only were they my Strength Finder talents, but together they create a solid, simplified approach to successful marketing. I like to write about that stuff here, and share my knowledge to help fellow small business owners achieve more, and see the world through purple colored glasses. Jen Lorenski